This free one-day workshop will help you…
- Think about your wishes for your end-of-life care (with Cynthia Trenshaw, guardian ad litem)
- Understand your choices for end-of-life care on the island (with Ann Cutcher (Enso House), Carla Jolley (WhidbeyHealth Palliative Care) and Lucinda Herring (Lumina))
- Think about what remains after you die (with Lucinda Herring and Doug Kelly)
- Prepare for a conversation with your loved ones
8:30 Coffee and Tea
Hosted by Kelly & Diana Lindsay
9:15-10:00 Reflection: What are my wishes for the end of my life?
- Who will speak for me when I am silent? [Healthcare Power of Attorney]
- What’s most important to you as you think about how you want to live at the end of your life? [Life Values Declaration, Advance Directive, Living Will]
- What kind of role do you want to play in the decision-making process?
- What is the kind of care you want to receive?
- What role do you want your loved ones to play?
With Cynthia Trenshaw, guardian ad litem
10-11:30 Panel: What are my choices for End-of-Life Care?
What might I experience if I die in different settings and what decisions might my advocate be called upon to make?
- In a hospital setting: Carla Jolley, WhidbeyHealth Palliative Care [POLST forms, Palliative Care]
- In a residential hospice setting: Ann Cutcher, ENSO House
- In a home with hospice care: Carla Jolley, WhidbeyHealth Hospice Care
Moderated by Diana Lindsay.
11:30 Do I have a choice about when I die?
Nancy Niedzielski, End of Life WA, on the Washington Death with Dignity Act
12:00 Lunch and conversation
Bring a bag lunch and join a lunch circle or take a walk
1:00 What decisions remain?
- Lucinda Herring, after-death consultant, on home ritual and green burial
- Doug Kelly, attorney, on wills, Durable Power of Attorney, legacy, and preparing for our last swan song
2:30 And now for “The Conversation”
Preparing for talking with your loved ones (even if they say “Couldn’t we talk about something more pleasant?”) or writing a letter to your medical advocate
Guided by: Cynthia Trenshaw